McDade, Texas

Featured listings

About

McDade, Texas is a small town located about eight miles southeast of Elgin. McDade was established in 1869 in anticipation of the arrival of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. Two years later the first train arrived and the town was platted and named after James W McDade who lived in Brenham. In the early days, McDade was also known as Tie Town or Tie City.

History

The first business was a tent saloon where a tin cup of whiskey sold for 10 cents. By 1879 it was a thriving depot town of 150 people. Following the Civil War, McDade had become a stronghold for a group of outlaws called the notch cutters.

McDade was home to a thriving broom factory in 1881 and was also the home of well know McDade Pottery until after World War II. The town has always been an agricultural center particularly noted for the melons produced in the sandy soils.

Events

McDade Watermelon Festival
(2nd Saturday in July)

  • Street Dance
  • Grand Parade
  • Car Show
  • Various Vendor booths
  • Food & Drink
  • Games
  • Activities For The Kids
  • Music
  • Prize Melon Auction
  • Queen Coronation
  • Melon Feast

Sherwood Forest Faire

  • Over 40 Stage Acts
  • Over 130 Merchant Shops
  • Various Food & Drink
  • Rides & Games

Have More Questions About McDade, TX?